The Year in Numbers
PETA’s Mobile Clinics Division sterilized more than 13,000 cats and dogs, including nearly 500 feral cats and over 900 pit bulls at a reduced cost or free of charge. As of 2020, we’ve spayed or neutered more than 186,950 companion animals.
We sent out over 52 million letters through our online advocacy campaigns, urging companies and individuals to make changes that would help animals.
PETA filled requests for more than 216,400 free copies of our vegan starter kit.
2020 Financial Statement
|Gross Merchandise Sales||$56,452|
|Interest, Dividends, Royalties, and Other Income||$2,416,727|
|International Grassroots Campaigns||$12,157,145|
|Public Outreach and Education||$16,869,378|
|Research, Investigations, and Rescue||$19,903,446|
|Cruelty-Free Merchandise Program||$461,979|
|Management and General Expenses||$721,229|
|Total Operating Expenses||$59,591,277|
Change in Net Assets
|Net Assets Beginning of Year||$8,432,920|
|Net Assets End of Year||$15,119,510|
|Board-Designated Legal Matters||$1,000,000|
Operating Expense Allocation
|Direct Program Support||82.88%|
|Management and General Operations||1.21%|
PETA is a nonprofit, tax exempt 501(c)(3) corporation funded almost exclusively by the contributions of our members. We strive to use our funds in the most cost-effective and efficient manner possible, a commitment illustrated by the fact that 82.88% of our operating expenses went directly to our programs fighting animal exploitation. We expended only 15.91% on fundraising efforts that drive our operations and 1.21% on management and general operations.
The Year in Numbers Report
- PETA now has more than 6.5 million members and supporters.
- Our websites received more than 94 million page views, and our videos, which include hard hitting investigations and celebrity ads, received over 800 million views.
- Our social media posts across our PETA and PETA Latino channels were seen an average of 141 million times each month.
- PETA sent e-newsletters to more than 1.2 million subscribers.
- We sent out over 52 million letters through our online advocacy campaigns, urging companies and individuals to make changes that would help animals.
- PETA’s text message program drove nearly 2 million actions in our online advocacy campaigns.
- We added more than 400 new names to our list of companies that don’t test on animals—bringing the total to over 4,800.
- We secured free advertising space worth over $1.5 million.
- Our Communications Department handled more than 3,700 interviews and other interactions with the media.
- Our International Grassroots Campaigns Department helped organize more than 700 demonstrations.
- We filled requests for more than 216,400 free copies of our vegan starter kit.
- We handled over 15,000 calls and e-mails regarding cruelty to animals.
- Our Mobile Clinics Division sterilized more than 13,000 cats and dogs, including nearly 500 feral cats and over 900 pit bulls at a reduced cost or free of charge. We’ve now spayed or neutered a total of more than 186,950 companion animals.
- We built and delivered more than 200 free sturdy doghouses and bagged more than 1,400 bales of straw, providing dogs who are forced to live outdoors with some comfort and protection. To date, we’ve delivered a total of over 7,600 free doghouses.
- Our online catalog fulfilled orders consisting of more than 45,000 pieces of animal rights merchandise, including T-shirts, mugs, tote bags, books, stickers, buttons, and companion animal accessories, which raised funds for PETA campaigns and promoted cruelty-free living.
- We had over 200 letters to the editor and more than 1,800 opinion pieces posted on websites and printed in various newspapers and magazines.
- PETA was mentioned by many major print and online media outlets, including Agence France-Presse, AOL, the Associated Press, The Atlantic, Barstool Sports, Billboard, the Bleacher Report, Bloomberg News, The Boston Globe, Breitbart News Network, Business Insider, Bustle, BuzzFeed, The Canadian Press, the Chicago Tribune, Cosmopolitan, Country Living, The Cut, The Daily Beast, The Daily Caller, the Daily Mail, Elle, Entertainment Weekly, E! Online, Esquire, Forbes, The Globe and Mail, Good Housekeeping, GQ, The Guardian, Harper’s Bazaar, The Hollywood Reporter, the Houston Chronicle, HuffPost, International Business Times, the Los Angeles Times, Marie Claire, Men’s Health, MSN, National Geographic, the New York Daily News, Newsday, Newsweek, the New York Post, The New York Times, OK!, The Onion, Page Six, People, Politico, Quartz, Refinery29, Reuters, Rolling Stone, Salon, Science, Sports Illustrated, StarTribune, Teen Vogue, Time, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report, Us Weekly, Vanity Fair, Vice, Vox, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The Washington Times, Woman’s Day, Women’s Health, Women’s Wear Daily, and Yahoo! News.
- PETA’s work received television and radio news coverage from many media outlets, including 60 Minutes, ABC News, ABC News Radio, Access Hollywood, BBC News, BBC Radio Networks, CBC News Network, CBC Radio One, CBS News, CBS News Radio, CBS Sports Network, CBS This Morning, CNBC, CNN, CNN en Español, CTV News Channel, Entertainment Tonight Canada, ESPN, FOX Business Network, FOX News, FOX Sports Networks, Global News, Global Television Network, Good Morning America, HLN, Inside Edition, Morning Express with Robin Meade, NBC News, NBC News Radio, NBC Sports, NPR, PBS, Real Time with Bill Maher, Telemundo, TMZ, Today, Tucker Carlson Tonight, Univision, and The Weather Channel.
- As of this year, PETA and the PETA International Science Consortium Ltd. have provided more than $7 million (including the value of in-kind donations) toward the development of non-animal testing methods, simulators to replace animals in science education and medical training, instruction for scientists in their use, and raising awareness of their benefits.
Twelve percent of PETA’s dedicated staff earn only $16,000 to $34,999, 41% earn $35,000 to $49,999, and the remaining 47% make more than $50,000. Our president, Ingrid Newkirk, earned $31,348 during the fiscal year ending July 31, 2020.